[fsf60k] Re: Banos Secos

  • From: billcpf@xxxxxxx
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:05:53 -0400

 I could see putting a few of these in Nuevo to see how they go over.  I have
seen this type of composting toilet in a peace community in Baltimore and it
works well.  But someone has to take care of maintenance and emptying the urine
container.  It is also possible to add a urinal (like some porta-potties) for
men and boys to use without having to sit down and reduce the chances of peeing
in the wrong place contaminating the dry portion.
However, there is not a problem of a high water table allowing contamination
from the current latrines so I don't see an urgency in this.  If a house has a
working latrine it would waste our limited resources to put in a new dry
outhouse.  But might be way to go for future. I would certainly be easier to
install than dig 10 or 20 feet holes in the hard ground of Nuevo.

 -  Bill O.