[fsf60k] Banos Secos

  • From: "Michael AR Cipoletti" <ikecip@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Lisa'" <Lisapflanagan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 02:43:49 -0400

This is information I got from my friend Rachel Lindsay (whose mother Peter
met on his return from Nicaragua)

if you haven't already, look up DRY TIOLETS or BAÑOS SECOS.  They are
exactly what communities like Nuevo Amanecer need.  They even could possibly
be less work and money to build, and every year produce useable fertilizer.
If you are concerned about sanitation you can make ones with two chambers so
the solids ferment an entire year before using.  I visited a small community
north of Achuapa called Lagartillo, where a british brigade came and
replaced all the normal drop outhouses with dry toilets, and everyone raves
about them.  Honestly, the villagers all love them and have completely
stopped using their drop toilets. Cleaner, don't smell, and their coffee
plants are grown organically and thriving.  I was super impressed.
Here are some links

http://www.tierramor.org/permacultura/saniseco.htm
http://www.oursoil.org/drytoilet.php
http://www.zoomzap.com/download/construccion-SESseparador.pdf