[fruityloops] Re: editing samples

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 19 Apr 2002 13:45:46 +0100

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 16:22, Sinatra Y2k wrote:

> Cool Edit 96?  What year is this? ;)  Haven't sampling rates and
> stuff improved enough to warrant a little upgrade on that bad-boy?

I'm thinking about upgrading, but the only extra features that I'd get
cost more besides the upgrade (i.e. are only available as additional
plugins to Cool Edit 2000).

 Cool
> Edit 2000 only costs $69, even if you bother to pay for it (not that I
> really know too much about cool edit, I like Sound Forge) .. Might help with
> your current problem too - newer programs are probably written with more
> file swapping stability built in, since here in the new millenium <grin>  we
> have computers that can run many multiple audio apps ... Just speculating

Possibly, but I'm curious because I definitely had it working before,
just after I installed XP.  Perhaps something somewhere has overwritten
a crucial DLL or something.  Maybe a clean XP install would fix it.

> To state the obvious - sounds like a file sharing problem.  It happens to me
> when I preview a sample in something shitty like, say, Windows Media Player
> and try and open it with Fruity without first closing WMP.  I know the
> version of Sound Forge I'm using (4.5) allows me to "Save In Direct Mode",
> which saves a copy of the sample into Sound Forge's workspace, essentially
> releasing the file itself for other apps to use.  Thats how it works for me
> ... might check for a similar feature of some kind in Cool Edit <snicker> 96

Well it could even be a problem with fruityloops (seeing as it is
fruityloops that holds the lock on the file), in which case upgrading
Cool Edit would have no effect.

Unfortunately, I don't have an endless supply of money to keep
everything bang up to date.

Talking of keeping up to date... I've heard rumours about Imageline
developing a new product; dynamic loops or something.  Does this mean
that even though we have "free lifetime upgrades", the lifetime of
fruityloops could be shorter than we expect and have to shell out for
the new product which we are not entitled to under the free updates
promise.

Anyone got any thoughts on this.
--
best regards,