[fruityloops] Re: Moving things around

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Jul 2003 09:21:12 +0100

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 08:56, Tim Jenkins wrote:
> Just a thought ??
>
> Making long patterns or whole songs in one piano roll can be a bit tricky.
> What you can do is intro's in one pattern, builds in another, break downs
> etc....

Just to emphasise what Tim said - the secret of working quickly in FL is
to put everything in its own pattern and to layer lots of patterns to
build up a track, rather than having a handful of very complex patterns.

Personally, I take this to the extreme and generally only trigger one
generator (or maybe two at the most) in a single pattern.  Taking this
idea further, I also separate each musical phrase in its own pattern, as
I can quickly experiment with re-arranging phrases.  I also completely
separate patterns that hold notes and patterns that hold controller
data.

Andy