[fruityloops] Re: Mixing in Fruity Loops

  • From: Rui.Barata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:29:16 +0000

Hi Andy

It helped me a lot. Just one more question: the knobs in the step
sequencer. What position shall they be at the beginning of the mixing?
 I think one of them is Pan. Well, this one must be in the middle (if no
panning effects are required). The other one is Volume. This one, do you
recommend it to be in the middle position also?

About the procedure that you've recommended (adding FX plug-ins, FX slots
and all related) its all described in Fruity  Effects chapter of the
manual?

Thanks again

Rui Barata
Parts Quality

Tel. +351 241 899 800  -  Fax. +351 241 899 872
E-mail: rui.barata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.mitsubishi-trucks-eu.com

                      Andrew Ebling

                      <andyebling@xxxxxxxxx        To:
fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      uk>                          cc:

                      Sent by:                     Subject:  [fruityloops] Re:
Mixing in Fruity Loops
                      fruityloops-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      05-12-2002 11:20

                      Please respond to

                      fruityloops

Hi Rui,

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 10:51, Rui.Barata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone knows about a good (and simple enough for a beginner)
> step-by-step mixing tutorial using Fruity Loops?
> I'm really new to mixing and the tutorials I've found so far use their
> examples in Cubase or Logic.

As you probably know, fruity has no dedicated mixer at the moment.  The
next best thing is inserting a "Fruity Balance" FX plugin in the last FX
slot of each of the 16 channels.  Then divide your parts up over the 16
channels and adjust the Fruity Balance to give the desired mix.  You
should adjust levels at the end of the FX slots rather than using the
controls in the step sequencer, as these control the level going to the
FX rack.  Many FX are level sensitive (distortion, compression etc), so
in adjusting the level using the step sequencer, you would alter the
characteristics of the FX applied to a particular sound - not what you
want at all!

The tutorials in Cubase or Logic are probably good for picking up
concepts and ideas with regard to the mixing process, but its more up to
you to figure out the details of the exact way to do it in fruityloops.
The way I go about mixing is to mute everything, then add drum parts one
at a time, setting levels and pan settings, then bass, then any leads or
vocals, then add everything else (pads, SFX etc) into the space that is
left.

As you may have seen on the official forum, the next version of fruity
will have a very nice mixer which will make mixing a _lot_ easier.

hope that helps,

Andy