[fruityloops] Re: List

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 03 Oct 2002 14:11:13 +0000

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 12:49, March Anthony A1C 22 CS/SCDT wrote:

> Hey Andy-
>
> I'd like to know how you extract a groove from a loop in beatslicer.

OK, here goes.

What you need:

- You'll need an accoustically recorded drum loop, or one that has been
particularly well programmed with a good groove factor to it.

- I assume you are happy using beatslicer

The steps:

- First of all you need to chop your loop down to 1 bar.

- Open it a beatslicer channel.

- Click the BS button to open beatslicer.

- Make sure there is a marker approximately every 1/16th note (I think
there is a function in beat slicer to put a marker on every 16th note
automatically, but I can't remember where it is).  You need to look for
drums that are obviously meant to be on 16th note beats and use them to
position the markers.

- Save the zgr file.

- Click the button in the beat slicer channel settings that you use to
lay out the loop in the piano roll (I think it is the right most
button), a drop down menu appears with options including: Normal,
Reversed, Random etc

- Choose "groove".

- You should now see approximate 1/16th beats layed out on the same note
in the beatslicer channel.

- Open the piano roll for that channel and pattern.

- Save the contents of the piano roll as a score file
(File->Save-<something>).

You now have a groove template which you can select from the quantise
dialog and use to quantise other parts from the piano roll.

Again, all that is from memory, so if anything is unclear or not quite
right, then feel free to ask and I'll try and figure it out when I get
home tonight.

happy slicing,

Andy

Visit our website at http://tao-group.com/