[fruityloops] Re: Accessing soundcard's soundbanks via MIDI Out channel

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 09 Jan 2003 10:28:38 +0000

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 10:05, Rui.Barata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've checked last night if, by changing the bank and patch n=BAs in the=
>  MIDI
> Out channel settings, I could have access to the sound banks of my
> soundcard (using the n=BAs taken from an Instrument Definition file for=
>  some
> synth which I cannot remember).
> The result was: I still can't access them. I can only use the 127 Gener=
> al
> MIDI patches.

Yes I had a look at this too.  The names seem to be fixed at GM patch
names, but you should still be able to get the non-gm sounds out of your
sound card.  Are you sure the MIDI out channel is routed to your sound
card sysnth and not to the MS GM softsynth?

> I've also checked all MIDI configurations in FL and none allows it.
>
> This leads me into another type of problem: communications between FL a=
> nd
> soundcard. Do you think I will need some "virtual MIDI cable" like MIDI=
>  Ox
> (I know that its not advisable to use MIDI Yoke)?

No, you should just be able to set things up in the MIDI settings
dialog.  Just assign a port number to your sound cards MIDI synth and
you are all set.

> By the way, can anyone confirm me how does MIDI Out works in FL? My
> interpretation is that the MIDI Out channel send MIDI info into my soun=
> card
> (or synth), and the soundcard process all the information (including th=
> "voice" which I want to come out) and sends it out to FL again but as a=
> Audio signal (*.wav).
> Is this correct?

The MIDI out channel sends MIDI data to your sound card.  The on board
synth then generates sound and feeds it to the audio outputs of your
sound card.  In fruity 3.x there is no way to feed this audio signal
back into fruityloops - you just have to rely on the sound card to mix
the audio output of fruityloops with the sound produced by the on board
synth and then record the audio output back to disk (if this is possible
with your yamaha card).  With my Audiophile card, if you select the
"monitor" output in your wave editor, it is possible to record the cards
output mix of all inputs back to disk.

Andy