FRTM - Re: Special Meeting Concept?

  • From: CELENA COLLINS <celenacollins@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:44:08 -0700

all,

I am not clear on the "Compete for a spot" for debating, will someone clear
that up for me?  Is this just as simple as Table Topics where each speaker gets
to argue a point back and forth, or is there more to it?

Also, take into account that this might seem too competitive or intense for
some, it even sounds that way to me right, now, so if I seem to have the wrong
idea here, please clear this up.

Celena Collins
Make it a great day!

From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FRTM - Re: Special Meeting Concept?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:30:14 -0600

I want to be one of the Debaters!!! What do you think about this? Instead of
table tobics one night we should compete for a spot to debate?

James Klingensmith C.Ht.
Official 105.9 Alice Morning Show Hypnotist
askyourhypnotist.com
720-319-0364

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

From: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FRTM - Special Meeting Concept?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:16:01 -0700

Friends,

Last night's meeting at Kathy's RNL Design conference room in Downtown Denver
was superb.  We started a little late as some had issues finding the guard to
let the elevator go to the second floor.  That said, I was a beautiful room and
gave us a chance to be in a professional environment with new obsticles to
overcome.  Thank you, Kathy, for hosting the meeting.

At the end of the meeting we discussed ideas for the next theme meeting.  Bill
threw out having a debate and everyone seemed to like this idea.  This will
require some advance planning to put together and participation by the club
membership.  I'll tell you that we've had three debates in the club since I
became involved, and each one was an unbeliveable experience for all involved
and quite interesting to observe.

For example, the following issues were debated in two of our events:
    "Should the theory of Creation by Intelligent Design be taught in public
schools?"
    "Should the phrase "under god" be removed from the pledge of allegience?"

So I'm asking for some feedback.

(1) Does having a debate in our club sound like a good idea to you?
(2) We need a number of roles filled, volunteers anyone?

Debators (4)
Facilitator (1)
Judges (4)
Timers (2)
Refreshments Coordinators (2)

If I have more people volunteer for one role than needed, we will have a random
drawing.  Ideally the debate teams would be an experienced TM paired with an
inexperience TM.  We've done this in the past and it has worked out well.

Your thoughts?

Dirk Kittedge
Educational Vice President
Front Range Toastmasters