[frgeek-michiana] Re: Vl5 on FB Spec

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 23:07:03 -0500

Tests for your assistant:

- How does VL 5 soho perform other than OO.org?
- How does VL 5 standard compare to VL 5 soho?
- How many desktops are installed in each?
- Do the media players work?
- Does it detect and install drivers for winmodems (which ones)?
- Do the icons and menu items work as advertised?
- What is the main file manager?
- How are the fonts?
- Are the dialup and high-speed setups bulletproof?
- Is there a useful spreadsheet?

There are three iso images in the ibiblio VL 5 directory: soho, standard (beta release) and dynamite. Forget dynamite.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0/

The standard version should run well on FB2 specs according to the docs. otoh, VL 4.3 seems to be faster than VL 5 according to MadPenguin.
http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=3641
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/docs/vl50/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#requirements

VL now has useful documentation. I skimmed it. Worth reading.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/docs/

In the docs, they mention a soft modem test utility which will identify, well...soft modems. It may be one of these.
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php?PHPSESSID=967027dc33f091ca41e0036199d8e5ed

Tom

At 11:54 AM 5/6/05 -0500, you wrote:

Well, with 320 MB of ram it appears twice as fast to bring it to a tolerable speed, but definitely not recommended.

O. Jay Schlatter
Technology Director
<http://www.goodwill-ni.org/>Goodwill Industries of Michiana, Inc.
(574) 472-7383