[frgeek-michiana] VL 4.3 walk through for FB instructors

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:57:00 -0500

Jackie, Terry and I examined VL 4.3 from an instructor's POV. Here's what we found.

1. Desktop mangers

XFCE4 got the nod as best for FB class. The icons are large and colorful. The fonts consistently render the best. XFCE4 also has the best default file manager (xffm) for beginners as xfe is no longer in the distro. There are new window controls which we will need to cover in class. The file manager features undelete, which is unavoidable and therefore an addition to class instruction.

The biggest potential problem with XFCE is the desktop settings are too easy to change for a bullet-proof newbie system. The ease with which users can change many system and application preferences may generate support issues which we are not equipped to handle.

2. Floppy disk access

Many FB grads want to copy Abiword files to floppy to take to school or work. VL 4.3 doesn't allow users access to the floppy; only root has access. Users cannot mount the floppy or copy files to it. We don't want to teach root access at the FB class.

Terry, Jackie and I altered /etc/sudoers to allow mounting and unmounting the floppy drive. Surprisingly, we couldn't resolve the floppy access problem using chmod and chown. We didn't attack the mtab or fstab configs.

It could be the box we were using has a hinky install and other VL 4.3 installs are good as gold.

Fixing the user (guest) floppy access is a setup issue which needs resolution at lab before we distribute any of these boxes. Our goal is to resume classes on April 30, so we have two labs to iron out install and config difficulties.

3. Test features not taught in class

If any of you have VL 4.3 installed on a box at home or work, please see if you can replicate and fix the floppy access problem. Pound on XFCE4 to uncover issues the instructors missed. We won't teach any of this stuff at the FB classes, but adventuresome users will try features not covered in class. In the near future we will offer more advanced classes for XFCE4, ICEwm, fluxbox and the applications installed on VL 3.2 and 4.3. So we have to deal with problems now.

. dialup confg
. dsl/cable config
. media player
. email clients
. web browsing clients
. instant messaging clients
. cdrecord

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>