[frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installs

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:59:02 -0500

I started reading about this yesterday and found some links that might be
helpful.
I think you'll want to use the debmirror
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Debmirror) utility as it gives you finer
control over rsync. You can easily specify which release you want (lucid) and
which architecture (i386) instead of downloading everything (200+ GB) with
rsync. I think debmirror still uses rsync behind the scenes.
As far as the architectures go, the names are a bit misleading and I think
there is some confusion. i386 is the 32-bit version and amd64 is the 64-bit
version. i386 should work on any processor that meets our minimum specs. amd64
will work on both amd and intel 64-bit processors, but I don't think we get
many if any of those in. The i386 version will still run on 64-bit processors
(even amd ones,) regardless.
The way that I was envisioning it to work would be to use debmirror on a
machine at home that would always have the current files. Those files would be
rsynced to a portable hard drive periodically.  That hard drive would then be
rsynced to a mirror running on the warehouse server. That way we would not be
dependent on the media used to transfer, and if someone left it at home it
wouldn't be a big deal.
I haven't fully read this yet
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LocalNet) but I believe we
could use our mirrored repositories for both updating already loaded boxes
(like from Live CDs) and doing network based installs. This is different than
network cloning as it still uses the debian installer to acquire and install
individual packages. We would just be grabbing them from the local mirror
rather than an online mirror over the internet like a default network install.
Tony

From: tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installs
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:46:58 -0500

Thanks. I think I have a spare 8GB USB
stick in the office.

Tom --

From:
frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>

  To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Date: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 9:46 PM

  Actually, if the box has been sitting on a shelf for an
  extended period of time, running updates before we give it away might be a
  good way to check that the box still works.

  I don't think it's necessary to be 100%
  current, but even if we could update the local repository about once a month
  that would be much better than nothing.

  Tony

  From: chuq00@xxxxxxxxx

  To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:53:39 -0500

  Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubuntu
  10.04 LTS installs

  I agree, I think a simplistic approach would be the best bet
  unless things change. We never ran updates on the vector boxes, just upgrade
  to the latest release was all that was done. Worrying about ensuring each box
  is fully updated makes the idea of having a multitude of freeboxes ready to
  pointless if you have to update each beforehand. Think about when you buy a
  computer there aren't any updates done to it at all, unless you pay for that
  service. Make it much simpler, no sneaker-netting updates in, updating the
  systems, running multiple servers for firewalls and gateways, all things that
  would provide good hands on experience for volunteers but is really
  unnecessary especially at this point in time.

  Chuq

  Chuq from my DROID.