[frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installs

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:03:30 -0500 (EST)

Once we set up a local repository the codec/driver problem will be solved. As to updating I don't really think that is necessary so long as our repository is fairly up to date. I don't plan on having many complete systems sitting on the shelf until we have orders for them. That will eliminate a lot of problems with out of date systems. We still have some Freeboxes loaded with VL and some are not even the latest version of VL.

Open Range's WiMax service looks pretty good and could be another option but again is pretty expensive for only 12-15 hours of use per month.

I wouldn't think that tethered cellphone use would be economical unless one of us already was using it and was willing to let Free Geek use some of their quite limited data allocation. I would not expect or encourage anyone to go down this path.

I think that Internet access would be beneficial but at the moment there are too few hours available for me to work on it much. I think our immediate needs are for storage and marketing.

Mike

From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 9:46 PM

Actually, if the box has been sitting on a shelf for an extended period of time, running updates before we give it away might be a good way to check that the box still works.

I don't think it's necessary to be 100% current, but even if we could update the local repository about once a month that would be much better than nothing.

Tony

From: chuq00@xxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:53:39 -0500

I agree, I think a simplistic approach would be the best bet unless things change. We never ran updates on the vector boxes, just upgrade to the latest release was all that was done. Worrying about ensuring each box is fully updated makes the idea of having a multitude of freeboxes ready to pointless if you have to update each beforehand. Think about when you buy a computer there aren't any updates done to it at all, unless you pay for that service. Make it much simpler, no sneaker-netting updates in, updating the systems, running multiple servers for firewalls and gateways, all things that would provide good hands on experience for volunteers but is really unnecessary especially at this point in time.

Chuq

Chuq from my DROID.