[frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installs

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:46:27 -0500

The actual monthly bill would be several times more expensive since we seem
to need an active business phone account in order to qualify for business
DSL. There are possible installation fees depending on the inside wiring.
FGM must also prove we are a registered business and pass a credit check to
obtain a business phone account.

The base (no taxes, levies, etc.) phone account is $35/mo (unlimited local
calls, no long distance) and the base DSL is $25/mo unless we qualify for a
discount for the DSL. If we ask an AT&T tech to set up and test the DSL,
there is a one time charge of $262.00. Given that we don't know the
condition of the wiring into our workshop, we might need AT&T's assistance
getting the phone and DSL services going. If need be, we can run our own
telco cable to AT&T's access point - wherever that is. There might be a
telco network interface on a nearby external wall or, more likely, in a
closet somewhere in the greater warehouse complex, which might mean a long
run of wire if the existing wiring is bad or substandard for DSL. The closet
scenario was the setup at the Chippewa warehouse and the reason my employer
decided on wireless Internet (DSL was not available, and the installation
costs for T1 were enormous).

I suppose, if the phone service works, then DSL should work as well; but
there is no telling at this point. We only know the base monthly cost before
installation fees, taxes and other levies: $60 per month. Since we currently
wouldn't use the phone or DSL more than 3 hours per week, it is a bit
expensive at $20/hour.

I will call my employer's AT&T rep and ask her for detailed information
although I suspect she will refer me to the AT&T small business group. If I
have any of this wrong, please correct me.

Tom --

  _____

From: chuq00@xxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 06:08:44 -0500

Using clonezilla on a 100 Mbit takes less than 20 minutes. Ideally you would
setup vbox mount your image in it run any updates to that image in vbox,
reclone it and then send it on the wire.
As far as servers and what-not goes, I am a bit confused as to why one would
need a gateway and firewall if one does not have internet access.
I would say using ubuntu server would be the best idea as it would make
administering it easy since it is ubuntu and everyone is familiar with it,
but ultimately it comes down to who is going to be using it and
administrating it.
Ubuntu supports your choice of virtual appliances if you are wanting to use
other oses to be a firewall, although it can easily handle doing all of it.
The server should have 2 nics ideally but if your not going to have internet
access 1 could get you by. I personally would waste the extra electricity
running multiple servers when 1 can handle it.
As far as internet goes, at&t dsl is only $15 per month, why not just get it
installed and make life easier than sneaker-netting everything in. Set-up
ssh, and someone can log in before volunteer night, and process the updates
needed, so when everyone comes in that does not have to be done.
The whole no internet access thing with trying this and that, is a dead
horse, quit beating it and order at&t otherwise too much time will be wasted
every week taking out hard drives, rsyncing repos, installing hdd, updating,
and everything every week.
Also, why are we worried about ensuring each system is fully updated? I mean
if systems are prepped and sitting on a shelf until class time, are you
going to pull each system, and update it before it goes out? Sounds like too
much repetitive work.
Install the systems, tell them to come to the next lug meeting if they do
not have internet and want to learn how to update their system.  Otherwise
your just making too much needless work for the volunteers. Hell it is
linux, even if it had a big security hole it is less likely to be exploited
than a m$ system. And honestly if they do not have internet at home, then
there is not much need in it being updated. If they do have internet ubuntu
will pop up and say you have 1500 updates available and let's update it.
That will make life easier for everyone.
Addressing the volunteers installing ubuntu, if needed you can always grab a
box and do it, or set up vbox on the server and let them install it that
way, you delete afterwards.

Chuq

Chuq from my DROID.

From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 5:15 PM

We don't have anybody currently attending the workshop with the Debian chops
to set up and maintain the server as a gateway/firewall. There are several
unused rack servers in inventory which can be used for the gateway/firewall,
and I know ClearOS. Even if Mike has the Debian chops, I think his time is
better devoted to building shelving; at least that is the plan he has laid
out.

While we are on the subject and since we are standardizing on Ubuntu on the
desktop, does anyone have an opinion re using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server
edition instead of Debian at the workshop and possibly elsewhere? I don't
know enough about Debian or Ubuntu to have an opinion. I'm more familiar
with CentOS and Slackware, and, of those two distros I am almost certain the
majority would prefer CentOS.

Tom --

  _____

From: frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://mc/compose?to=frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://mc/compose?to=tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://mc/compose?to=frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, November 15, 2010, 4:00 PM

Months ago we decided to set up a repository. But, without more help, the
project was put on hold while we dealt with inventory and began building
shelving for the workshop. I hope to set up a LAN in the workshop this week;
then we can take up the repository project soon.

Tom --

  _____

From: frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://mc/compose?to=frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>