[frgeek-michiana] Re: Toshiba-2

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 12:56:57 -0500

At 11:29 PM 5/3/04 -0500, you wrote:

ok, now know why X won't install.... scratched cd....

OK, if I download and burn the newest VL, is that going to throw this machine too out of what we are giving our clients?

Goose

Yep. The VL folks recommend generally better hardware than we can supply for FreeBoxes. Please note the references to a "more comfortable experience" and "minimum." I think Mike tested VL 4 and concluded it needs 64-128 megs for sure. KDE 3.1 loads awfully slowly on my Toshiba and is sluggish thereafter. IceWM and XFCE are ok.

VL 4.0 Hardware Requirements

The minimum hardware requirements to run VectorLinux 4.0 are a 166 MHz Pentium class processor with 32 MB of RAM memory, and just 700 MB of hard disc space (*).

To have a more comfortable experience with VectorLinux 4.0 we would recommend a 233 MHz (MMX) processor with 64 MB of memory as a minimum.

(*) 635 MB of space for the installation plus 64 MB of swap space is the very minimum.
Extra space would be required for additional applications and / or your personal files.

You can find more information about features and requirements for the different versions in this table.