[frgeek-michiana] Re: Testing old Compaq laptops

  • From: Lloyd Loring <LWLoring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:04:38 -0500

How many 1.44 diskettes do you need? I have over 220 lightly use re-formatted and zeroed out that can go to a good home, plus almost 75 brand new ones. I can bring them to the warehouse Tuesday if you wish.

Lloyd Loring

At 5:38 PM +0000 2/18/08, Mike Cook wrote:
I'll have to round up some decent floppy disks. If I can't find any the images we need are less than 1.44M each so downloading them wouldn't be a problem.

Mike

menuetOS
http://sourceforge.net/projects/menuet/

1-disk, 2-disk
http://natld.berlios.de/download.htm

DSL
damnsmalllinux.org/

From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Can you bring some likely candidates from among the ones you mention to
 try on Tuesday? Or, is it more convenient to download them and burn them
 to floppy or CD at the warehouse?

 For testing purposes, we probably don't need X. However, a photo of an X
 desktop running on one of the laptops might be impressive on the Ebay
 auction.

 Tom

 Mike Cook wrote:
> We could try MenuetOS it has a gui and runs from a floppy. We might also try
 1-disk X, a floppy based Linux x windows system. Both should run on 16-32M.
DS-Linux also will run on 16M though we might need a boot floppy. Puppy needs at least 32M although you might need a swap partition. I'm sure Slack or Debian
 would also work but it would be a struggle to get X running with that small
amount of memory. Do we have a model number on these laptops? If so we might find additional info on Google. I'm sure we can find something to test them and
 make them look pretty.

 //www.freelists.org/archives/frgeek-michiana/