[frgeek-michiana] Testing old Compaq laptops

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:53:52 -0500

Mike or Goose:

Kevin wants to test the Compaq laptops in the server/storage room next
Tuesday, before putting them on Ebay. As I recall, the laptops don't have
much memory, maybe 16-32MB. I'd be surprised if any have 64MB.

What will install on these extremely low resource laptops to test them?

I believe we could try older Slackware or Debian releases, possibly an older
Vector Linux, without X-Windows.

Second, I'm not sure whether we can get these laptops to boot off CD.

From the official Slackware site (current release is 12.0):

Slackware Linux doesn't require an extremely powerful system to run (though
having one is quite nice :). It will run on systems as far back as the 486.
Below is a list of minimum system requirements needed to install and run
Slackware.

    * 486 processor
    * 16MB RAM (32MB suggested)
    * 100-500 megabytes of hard disk space for a minimal install
    * 3.5" floppy drive

Additional hardware may be needed if you want to run the X Window System at
a usable speed or if you want network capabilities.