[frgeek-michiana] Re: Sportster Modems

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:37:54 -0500

I think we need 4-6 Compaq diagnostic disks in the lab, particularly when we begin to install internal modems. We will need to access the BIOS to turn serial ports on/off. The older Compaqs (all Compaqs?) have that BIOS partition which is destroyed when we install Linux or when the donor security wipes the drive before giving us the box.

Tom

At 07:11 AM 4/14/04 -0500, you wrote:

If the 33.6k Sporters are true hardware based isa modems you *DO NOT* need linux drivers at they look like a plain comport to Linux. You only need to make sure to disable the equlivelent comport on the motherboard, etc to prevent resource conflicts.

Goose

ed wrote:

I inquired about numbers of Sportster modems in stock, this is what I
received:

We have over 400 of them left.  I'm sure I can help with getting a Linux
driver.
If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.
Thank you,
       -Mark G.
Computer Surplus Outlet
684 Wells Road