[frgeek-michiana] Re: Server update gone bad

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:45:06 -0500

Is the UUID used anywhere besides fstab and maybe the boot loader? It makes
sense to use it there when you have multiple drives because it guarantees that
your mounts will all work even if boot order changes for some reason.
Each file system is assigned a UUID upon creation. You can use the basic tools
for that file system to find out what the UUID is. It will never change, even
if you move the drive to a different server. It will also not change if you
clone the partition.
If you are able to boot from a cd, I think you can use tune2fs -l /dev/<hdxx>
to see the UUID for the file system on a given partition (assuming it is
ext2/3/4.)
This page also lists some other ways (I haven't tried them) to get the UUID
http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/short-tip-get-uuid-of-hard-disks/The
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid way looks pretty cool. I didn't know that directory was
there.
Tony