[frgeek-michiana] Server update gone bad

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:41:54 -0500

Mike started a hard drive wipe too late to complete by closing time last Thursday. I started a warehouse server update which also didn't complete before we departed so Mike and I left the systems running with the intention I would stop by the warehouse today and turn off the computers.

Mike's DBAN wipe completed so I turned off the PC. The server update completed so I rebooted to test the update.

When the server first tried to boot it died trying to load drivers for hdc or the next item after that; I couldn't tell which. I turned the server off, booted and got the following errors.

----------

Running /scripts/inti-bottom ... mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
done
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 1:1.10.2-2) built-in shell (ash).
Enter 'help' for a list of commands.

/bin/sh can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs) __

A Google search didn't find anything in the first two pages of results which exactly applies to the problem and update back story.

The source lists for apt-get were set to "stable" repositories. Since Debian advanced to v6.x 'Squeeze', stable was resulting in v6 packages which wouldn't verify. So I changed 'stable' to 'Lenny' (Debian v5.x) in the sources list, and the update/upgrade sequence went much better (until I rebooted).

I'm not sure if there was a kernel update or not.

The server is running RAID and possibly LVM. I seldom use either so I'm not well versed on either. Also, Debian uses Grub (possibly several versions of Grub). Grub runs on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS netbook install, but I never touch it.

Any ideas?

Tom --
be in the public domain. Email addresses are removed from the archive but other
items included in the body of the email will be shown.