[frgeek-michiana] Re: Netvista 2200 Boot from CF How-to?

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:24:47 -0500

This is terrific! Let's ask Rick to submit notes re his DSL on CF project.

Tom

At 04:39 PM 12/30/04 -0500, you wrote:
Glad you liked the LTSP on NetVista howto. What model of NetVista do you have? We have only worked with the 2800 series, 8364TUS although I think the 8364 Exx is similar except for having an ethernet rather than token ring network connection. It wasn't hard to get the system to boot from the cf with the bios set to workspace on demand. We have a member that has installed Damn Small Linux (DSL) on a CF in the 8364TUS, but I don't think he is on the mailing list, he used a cf to ide adapter to put the OS on the cf before installing the cf into the NetVista. I have installed dos on cf. The thread on the dsl forum is about the 2200 series which is slightly older and I don't know what the differences are. Other than the LTSP on NetVista howto we haven't written any documentation and aren't currently working on any. We were hoping that the LTSP on the Netvista 8364 would be easy for a newbie to follow, please let us know if there are any areas we need to clairify. We have found a couple of minor errors and ommissions and I was planning on putting together an updated version when I have a little time. Also, have you looked at the "Linux Netstation HOWTO" or the "IBM Netstation and Linux Wiki" at http://howto.ipng.be/

If you have any other questions or comments be sure to write.

Mike Cook

ps thanks for pointing out the thread on the dsl message board. I try to keep up with the dsl forums but I guess I missed that thread.

Shawn Merdinger wrote:
Hi,
There seem to be some real experts here on Netvista.  I have had alot
of trouble trying to get this box to boot from CF.  Is there available
(or available soon) a step-by-step how-to for doing this?   The "LTSP
on NetVista Model 8364 TUS" is the bomb
<http://www.freegeekmichiana.org/netvista.html> but I'm looking for a
solid guide that a newbie could follow...I'm happy to help with this
documentation if anyone has started something.

For example, there's chatter on Damn Small Linux forums about this http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=3204;hl=netvista
Thanks!
--scm

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>