[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 4/6/04

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:44:55 -0500

Lab Notes, 4/6/04

Present: Olin Zuercher, Mike Cook, Yu Yunchun, Judy and Frank Bradley, Sherral Stomatovich, Starr Mann

:: Demanufacturing

It's official. FGM has started demanufacturing computer equipment.

Last night Olin began training volunteers to demanufacture computers. The group took half a dozen computers down to component level and sorted the parts into tubs. They loaded the tubs and parts into Olin's van. He will drop the material at The Barn.

Olin has an excellent collection of small hand tools. The volunteers used a variety of Olin's tools. FGM may need to purchase a few tools to supplement the standard multi-purpose screwdriver. I encouraged the volunteers to bring their own tools next week.

Mike is going to coordinate purchasing gaylord boxes for us to place in The Barn before next lab night. We may need some more tote tubs too. The portable workbench, made of a metal door and two trash containers, worked fine. The women were comfortable with it. Even so, I may buy two shorter trash containers and see what they say about a lower height.

I will bring an assortment of 386 and 486 computers to lab for the volunteers to disassemble. I have four pallets of computers stored in my garage since last winter. Most of them are candidates for disassembly.

:: Clean Up

The volunteers also cleaned up the computer lab. It looks and smells great. You could eat off the keyboards. We also cleaned up the fellowship hall after the demanufacturing session.

:: Thurs. Lab

This Thurs. night, 4/8/04, I will open the church for a lab. Hopefully Goose (Richard) will be free to attend. We will probably make it a software development lab. If it works out, I will schedule 1-2 Thursday night labs each month.

:: Upcoming FreeBox Classes

There are enough people on the waiting list to hold two more classes. I scheduled the next FB class for Sat., April 17, and will confirm seats this week.

If we get the demanufacturing process rolling, I may suspend the FB classes after April and switch to distributing computers to volunteers rather than students. Giving away computers at FB classes is good PR, creates considerable goodwill in the community and attracts a base of potential volunteers and clients. So we should discuss whether to stop the FreeBox classes in a town hall meeting at the lab next week.

:: Enough FreeBoxes?

We may not have enough FBs to distribute to the next two classes.

Olin and I picked up 19 cpus last Saturday. All had NICs and none had CDROMs. Yunchun and I loaded VL 3.2 on one we picked at random. It was marginal for a FB. The on-board video subsystem was below our standard -- it would resolve at 800x600 pixels but only at 8-bit color depth. To meet the 16-bit color standard we must install a video card with more RAM.

The boxes may be candidates for thin client workstations. The one we picked had 120 MHz CPU, 32 MB RAM, a 3 GB hard drive and an Intel EE Pro 10 Mbps NIC. We can remove the hard drives to use elsewhere. However, if there are not 6 better systems, we may have to use these boxes for the next FB class. In that case I will buy enough surplus CDROMs (about $7 each + shipping) to cover the classes. The only other option is to postpone the next class until we have better computers. There are better computers in the Upper Room, but they are held in reserve for volunteers who have earned enough credits to upgrade.

:: Volunteer Logs

Volunteers will need to sign in and sign out on lab nights. All foundations and granting agencies want statistics. The United Way grant application asked for stats on clients, volunteers and volunteer time. Goose and I will develop the on-line volunteer log. Until then I'll keep a paper based log.