[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes 2007-01-16

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:07:38 -0500

:: Salvation Army Coding Project

Goose and Tom met with Liz and Capt. Jody at the church Tuesday afternoon. Liz and Jody chose the Adopt-A-Family program as the project. Jody will contact the regional church headquarters and find out where the likely host will be and what policies apply to hosting an online app. Hosting could be at the national, regional or local level. The project may or may not be an online application depending on national and regional church policies. In the worst case, the application will only run on the LAN and will have no public interface.

The application requirements looks straight forward. Goose and Tom will do as much of the development as possible at Tuesday labs. The Captains were much relieved that FGM is donating the development to the church.

:: Tech Certification Training Project

Albert has researched the training materials which appears to be a set of CDs, not DVDs. A Windows box is required to run the training media. The publishers do not guarantee the materials will run properly on Gnu/Linux.

Tom will try to find an XP or W2K laptop with video out to hook up to the TV set in the fellowship hall at the church. If the video looks ok on the TV set, we might not need to bring the 36" monitor to the lab. The church's TV set sits on top of a mobile AV cart. If we need the monster monitor, it will probably fit on the cart.

:: Monitor Recycling

Forest reported on the cost of recycling approximately 32 monitors at our vendor in Chicagoland. The cost was $9 per monitor ($288.00), plus shipping ($224). The total estimated cost was $512.00 or $16 per monitor. True cost is higher. Future costs are likely to go up rather than down.

As it is, we are losing money on recycling monitors because we are not charging enough to cover our known costs. If we had to pay for storage, our true costs would be much higher. Also, we too often accept monitors without charging the $15 recycling fee.

Our options are to deman monitors and recoup some costs by recycling the copper yokes and circuit boards or to stop accepting monitors at all.

Our vendor says they will charge less than $9 for bare CRTs. How much less is a mystery. Getting specific information from the company is like pulling teeth. Shipping bare CRTs may require special packing which could increase costs and time and nullify the deman option.

Forest proposed that we inventory our monitors so we know what our current total CRT liability is. Then we can decide how to handle monitors. Albert, Mike and Tom agreed. Tom will also contact Virtual Scavengers and ask how they deal with monitors.

Mike can build a safe electrical discharge tool for demanning monitors. Dale has done the basic research on disassembling monitors and and recycling the components.

:: Lab Virtualization

The most likely near term scenario for virtualizing the lab is to try for 8 virtual machines based on our current Debian/LTSP production install. We can clone our production hard drive to a spare hard drive and use the spare to experiment on. If we have a problem, there is nothing lost. Several of the virtualization platforms Mike, Goose and Rick are playing with will support 8 instances of virtual machines on dual core, dual processor systems such as our lab server.

:: Ubuntu Modem Support

Mike unhappily reports that the most current version of Ubuntu has less modem support than previous versions. He thinks Ubuntu may be giving up on modems altogether. For modem support, Ubuntu now refers users to the LinModem project website.

The version of Ubuntu Mike installed - I wish I could remember which version - had difficulty finding and using an external hardware modem. Mike needed to access the modem with wvdial.

:: FreeBox Distro Contest

Tom volunteered to bring a half dozen similarly configured PCs to the lab from the warehouse and set them side by side on the unused table so we can compare distros. Rick dropped off a KVM switch and cables.

###