[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes, 05/24/05

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:10:25 -0500

I researched the Vector Linux forums re automounting floppy media. There was very little. So I wrote a howto "Automount floppy disks" based on my work around. The howto has been up two days and has received a dozen hits. There must be at least a small need for the info. Maybe someone will respond with a better way.

Tom

At 10:29 PM 5/26/05 -0400, you wrote:
In fact there is a group called floppy. Strangely, it also doesn't have
write access to the floppy drive :-{.  It looks like there is some other
config file(s) for the autofs daemon.  I don't think it pays attention to
/etc/fstab except to note that it uses autofs.

Automount mini-Howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Automount-1.html#ss1.3

HowTo Setup Linux AutoFS
http://freespace.sourceforge.net/guidod/howto/autofs.html

I'll look at it further tomorrow.

On other notes the spreadsheet program, ABS, overlaps the edges of a 800x600
screen.  You cannot get to the close window icon or the file menu.  I found
that changing the window managers menu entries to "ABS -geometry 640x480"
to correct the problem (you can still maximize it if you wish but, now it
won't overlap the screen edges).  There may be a better way; it seems like
the program should be able to get the screen size from the window manager,
maybe ABS just doesn't.

I hopefully will be working on finding problems with 4.3 a bit over the
holiday.  Since I have been playing with my 4.3 install for a couple of
weeks, I blew away my 4.3 install and attempted a fresh install just to have
a baseline.  Suffice to say that I haven't been having the best of luck: 3
bad cdrom drives in a row and when I finally started to put in a known good
drive I pulled the ide cable connector apart.  Not my best nights work.  I
think maybe I should try again tomorrow.

Mike