[frgeek-michiana] Lab Agenda, 3/22/04

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:57:21 -0500

Lab Agenda, 3/22/04
------------------------------

:: Create Workbench

Olin - Pickup two doors at the Barn and bring to lab.
Tom - Buy trash containers and tubs. Bring to lab.
Ed - Bring two cinder blocks.

Someone needs to think about what we will use for cleats to keep the tables centered in the trash containers.

:: FreeBoxes for 3/27

Two of the FreeBoxes failed at the class last Saturday -- the mice didn't work. Got to fix the problem.

Also need to test some monitors from the Barn, match them to a FreeBox and clean the whole system. My daughter and I drove to the Barn this afternoon and got 8-10 monitors. We didn't have time to test them in the Barn. I'll have the monitors in the Astro Loser Cruiser, er, Free Geek van.

:: Final Draft NetVista Howto

I hope to have the links to photos in place. Need feedback from several people who have never read the howto. Many eyes squash bugs.

:: Orient New Volunteers

One of the senior volunteers will need to orient new volunteers. I think will be at least one new volunteer, if not several. Two women from the FreeBox class are interested in volunteering to earn credits for classes and may show up for demanufacturing training.

:: Lab Notes

I didn't write lab notes for last Tues. Will need help writing notes for last week, listing everyone who came and what was discussed and accomplished.

:: Compile Kernel for Intel Controller-less Modem

We need a strategy for compiling a VL 3.2 kernel for the Intel HAM modem. And we need a team to work on it. Every time I conduct a FreeBox class people ask me how to get on the Internet with their computers. Every time I tell them not any old cheap modem will work and to be patient with us -- we will solve the problem.

Jay and I, the blind leading the blind, couldn't get a stock VL 3.2 make/config to work. We think the problem is our header source was out of sync with the kernel source or compiler. But we don't know for sure what's going on. All we know is the VL kernel is extremely stripped down and is missing something we need.

We may have to use a VL SOHO make/config, a VL 4.x config or straight up Slackware, all of which will result in a larger kernel. How much larger? I don't know. There is a very good chance that the problem is pilot error, that Jay and I don't know what we are doing.