[frgeek-michiana] Re: Investigating alternative distros

  • From: Mike Neuliep <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:51:20 -0500 (CDT)

Tom, you might want to consider using unix 'dd' program instead of ghost
Another option which I've found very helpful is to go to Fry's Electronics
and spend the $45 on a usb-IDE harddrive case.  That you can you use a
boot floppy to boot from the usb device and then simply define a partition
on the target drive and copy all the files over...

I'm curious to know what problems you forsee with this approach (except
the obvious one of PCs not having USB, however that should be less and
less of a problem as time goes on)

        Mike Neuliep

Mike Neuliep, Illiana Internet LLC | Providing solutions in wireless internet,
PO BOX 593, Peotone IL 60468       | security, bandwidth, colocation, education
Cell 708-932-9547 mike@xxxxxxxxxxx | and networking.  --Cisco CCNP Certified--