[frgeek-michiana] From the Gooselab:

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:19:43 -0400

With lot's of time to kill at the end of the substitutability fair at IUSB, I went dumpster diving for various projects... So far, here's the report.

1) D-Link DL-241 for AOM project? Eh, doesn't matter, I goofed and plugged a 12v supply into a 5v device and cooked it... Bad Goose...

2) Gateway 4540 laptop:
   15 inch display
   1.5 Pentium-M
   512md ram
   32mb video (Shared w/ main ram)
   unknown size hd
At first, it didn't do anything and I just left it alone. Then it boots and crashes. Then it boots and runs! Fully loaded laptop including Intel Pro/Wireless 2000BG wireless adapter. (BTW, the SAME ONE I use in my laptop!) A very well supported wireless adapter..

Folks, looks like we have our presentation laptop! Unless Gateways suffer the ACPI fan NON-controllable issue in VL... IIRC, Gateways do not suffer that problem...

   http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/4536GZ/4356sp3.shtml

3) Linksys WRT54Gv8:
Yup, had one donated... It passes boot up but haven't tested to see if it actually works. It will become the DD-WRT test unit...

4) Boston speakers... Works but the pots are bad... Power switch on pot is bad... AC hum... That is what I recall right now... The big one is the Gateway... I've got the battery charging.. Will know run time later...

Richard