[frgeek-michiana] Re: From the Gooselab

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:52:10 -0400

Richard Zimmerman wrote:
1) First project today, re-start installing CentOS on the laptop and get a working install - Done

2) Exchange out hard drives on home server: - Done

   A) dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
a. It worked and didn't work. It copied a workable boot sector and the partition table but the partitions themselves were not usable. b. Blew out partition table and re-created it and formated swap and / filesystems
      c. Tar'd /dev/hda1 to new drive, then tar -zxvf it on the new drive
      d. Rebooted the system, bingo, it works!
NOTE: All of this was on in Debian runlevel 1 - single user mode, all services shutdown

   B) Copied the data drive doing the same thing in steps b & c

3) Tried to reset the wireless access point to use the cable modem directly so I wasn't flying blind. Succeeded in trashing it. Factory reset to come.
   In process - I need the hub side of it at the moment

4) Compaq Battery - Mike and I have what looked like two good batteries. So far so good - ran 1 hr showing 74% remaining.

5) CentOS on a laptop. Might be ok for some people, as a wireless based laptop. Not so good. a. Now I remember why I was starting to hate RedHat. su to root, NO /usr/sbin, /sbin path searching <frown>
   b. NO ndiswrapper in dvd download and so far not searchable via yum
c. Abandoning wireless on CentOS, this pup is for OpenVZ testing anyhow.
   d. On 256M, 1.063g P3 cpu, actually not too bad performance wise.
   e. Need to dig OpenVZ install doc's and move forward!

Goose
Yeah, Red Hat forsook desktop development except for private support clients. Red Hat is a corporate distro and mainly a server distro.

I think it is excellent planning to put OpenVZ on a laptop. Portable. Enough horsepower for preliminary development. Great for demos.