[frgeek-michiana] [FREE GEEK ROCKS!]

  • From: Richard Seymour <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, phpclass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:39:43 -0700

(Richard here, forwarding this mail to the lists Oso forgot. I
corrected a spelling mistake or two.)

Oso wrote:
Everybody congratulate yourselves!

The Meyer Memorial Trust has awarded FREE GEEK $159,000 over the next
two years! Thanks to everyone who helped with the writing of the grant
and all the great volunteers who make this kind of fund raising easy - by making FREE GEEK so freakin' cool!

Details:

The funding is for Phase II of the remodel (New classroom and bigger thrift store, bigger build area), Staff increases both in pay and total number of staff (including some level of healthcare coverage) and the Collaborative Technology Project (partially funds one dedicated staff person).

The money will be paid out over two years - about $100,000 first year and $59,000 in the second. The second year funds will be a matching grant - which means we need to raise that much money by the next payment cycle. The Memorial Trust is going help us contact other foundations to make this happen.

There is a great Open Source advocacy element - the Memorial Trust is going to encourage non-profits to include Open Source options in future grant request submittals and FREE GEEK (Collabrative Technology) is going to help make that happen. They already have two consulting jobs lined up for us.

What's next? - We will have some negotiations with the MMT to determine the exact payment schedule and breakdown of exactly how the funding is to be spent. Once that is settled (in the next two weeks) we will be able to set spending priorities. The first check will be in hand on or about the 15th of August. Look for lots of discussions on the council list - the funding has to be used in fairly specific ways - but there is a little wiggle room - plus we won't hire any new folks en masse - it will be phased - so we'll want to decide which positions to fill in which order, etc.

Thanks again to everyone for all your great work!

Oso

-- These things must be done ... delicately! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Richard Seymour, That Man Behind the Curtain FREE GEEK

Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking!