[frgeek-michiana] CentOS 5 + OpenVZ

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:51:17 -0400

Well, simply put it works!

I don't have all the details yet. I'll write up install notes tomorrow but it DOES work.
P3-1.066mhz (running 733), 256mb, 18g hd.

On an initial look, a ps ax show the container tasks as root jobs but does not tell you WHAT container they belong to. There is a vz command to see a specific containers processes but it slips me at the moment.

I did read and now understand better it's ONE Kernel on the whole server, the the containers ONLY use ram/disk space for they container they use. Setup instructions to specify how limit or quota the container to a specific hard drive size.

Pretty wild and mind boggling but yet simple at the same time.

Richard

Quick install notes:

INSTALL CentOS 5 First! (Current = 5.2)
cd /etc/yum.repos.d
wget http://download.openvz.org/openvz.repo
yum install ovzkernel.i686
yum install vzctl vzquota
VERIFY grub is installed and ready to boot into the OpenVZ kernel
CONFIG /etc/sysctl.conf
   <more later>
reboot server
cd /vz/template/cache
wget http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/centos-5-i386-default-20080624.tar.gz
mv centos-5-i386-default-20080624.tar.gz centos-5-i386-default.tar.gz
vzctl create 100 --ostemplate centos-5-i386-default --config vps.basic --ipadd 192.168.x.x --hostname goose vzctl set 100 --name goose --nameserver "192.168.x.x 198.6.x.x" --diskspace 10G:10G --save
vzctl start 100
vzctl enter 100

Pretty much that's it. This was done on a fresh install on a Compaq EVO N600C laptop.

More later...

Goose