[Fundraisers Forum] Re: The ethics of tragedy

  • From: David Morris - Magen <davidm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rachelbeth Canar <rachelcanar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:49:17 +0200

Thank you for raising this. This is indeed an interesting and very relevant
topic, particularly for fundraisers for non-profits orgs in Israel.

While I agree with the sentiment that one should always keep to the ethical
high ground - with all respect, I don't necessarily agree that that high
ground consists of refusing to participate in campaigns which center upon
current events in Israel (or as Arnie puts it "never never ever ever use
events (particularly tragic ones) for fundraising purposes").

The major Jewish/Israeli organizations regularly initiate and participate
in campaigns when there are high-profile events, often tragic and/or
dramatic, in Israel, such as Wars, terror and other crises (which we should
not know of). These include campaigns by UJA, The Joint, KKL, and numerous
other highly respectable and respected NGOs.

Literally hundred of millions of dollars of donations are raised in these
often intense and emotive campaigns. With national emergencies
(unfortunately) hitting Israel approximately every two years, these
fundraisers have almost become part of the fundraising calendar.

I think it is legitimate for organizations who supply services which are
particularly in demand during such events, such as MDA, Hatzola, hospitals,
IDF & Home Front supporting orgs, trauma treatment centers, etc to actively
bring this to public attention.

It is morally debatable if such organizations should use these occasions to
raise "emergency funds" which are actually used to fund activities which
are not directly related to the said events. Such as a new cancer unit in a
hospital. Or routine budgetary costs for MDA. Here the issue is to what
extent the donors are designating their donation to specifically help with
the war effort - and so are being deceived by the "emergency" campaign.

In addition, there are organizations which have been directly impacted by a
tragic event, such as a terror attack against a specific student at a
yeshiva, but where there is no specific financial impact on the
institution. There is a huge amount of awareness and sympathy for the
organization - which can be translated into increased financial support.

I believe there are tasteful way for such an institution which has been
struck by tragedy to benefit, such as establishing a library or appropriate
program in memory or in honor of the victim/s, or naming a new wing of a
building, etc. Obviously, these campaigns should not cross the line into
exploiting or capitalising on the tragedy in a distasteful manner. This is
an issue of balance and common sense.

Then there are causes which are unrelated to the national event. Such as an
organization which specifically launches a war effort campaign, where the
funds are not actually being used for any activities related to the war.
("There is a war in Israel, so please fund our new shul"). In my books,
this would be deceptive and distasteful (and potentially fraudulent).
Definitely in Arnie's "never, never" category.

Thank you again, Daniel, for raising the topic in this forum.

Besorot tovot
David

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Rachelbeth Canar <rachelcanar@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think it is great that this was brought up. I basically agree with
Arnie.

We must not ignore the world we live in or the public discourse. This
means also that not acknowledging tragic events, and continuing to talk
about whatever we already had in the newsletter/ whatever we were raising
funds for anyway, also is wrong. We must show sensitivity.

In order to succeed, we must also be strategic in our work. That means
that we consider the timing of everything. If the external events have
something to do with what our organization deals with - then we must
mention it. And if our target audience or beneficiaries are impacted then
we should have an emergency campaign in order to provide whatever
additional services are needed, or at the very least to raise the profile
of our issue again if it is connected.

But that must always be done in a way that respects the people that we
serve. Photos are very touchy and one must always get permission from the
parents of minors. Some organizations for whom I have worked had a policy
not to use photos of children no matter what.

Fundraiser's very often have bad reputations as being unethical.
Unfortunately, some do these kinds of things and it reflects poorly on all
of us.

Rachel Canar
NGO Catalyst

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 12:23 PM, arnie draiman <ajdraiman@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

daniel,

you raise an excellent question.

my two cents is to always take the moral and ethical high road and never
never ever ever use events (particularly tragic ones) for fundraising
purposes. and certainly not publicly. that is, if you need to turn to a few
donors individual, and say, we need a better security fence around our
facility, fine.

i recommend to all of my donors, philanthropists, and foundations to
avoid any non-profit that capitalizes on events to do fundraising. (and
even those capitalize on reports like showing pictures of pathetic starving
children and claiming that one-third of all children in israel are
starving, etc.)

now, having said that, if your organization deals with issues related to
events (for example, you provide psychological support for people with PTSD
in sderot), then you can state as a fact that you had 'x' more people this
past year need your services because of war 'x' and 'y', etc. but do NOT
give me "our children are suffering and without your immediate help, they
will continue to wet their beds at night" etc.....

From: Daniel Meyer <iyimisrael@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 10:03:36 +0200
Subject: [Fundraisers Forum] Fwd: The ethics of tragedy ??

I would like to start a discussion and he
​ar​
your opinions.
It is not news that Israel has undergone a "pounding" in these last weeks.

There have been a number of incidents that have given me a lot of food for
thought as a fundraiser and I would like to hear your opinions?

The major issue is how much mileage can we make out of others tragedy?

1)_In Mishpacha magazine about 3-4 weeks ago A. Granot wrote about his
experiences with his adopted grown son from the Ukraine who was critically
stabbed in K.Arba - given a 15% chance of survival but walked out of
hospital on his won legs. He discusses how amazing the hospital staff was,
Bituach Leumi - who even flew the biological parents in - and said the
only
thing that upset home were organizations who came for photo ops.

2) After a chayal was critically stabbed - a soldier "do-good"
organization
went to visit him while he was still unconscious in ICU to offer help to
the family.

3) Just this last week we lost Ezra Schwartz z"l - the morning of his
death
he had attended a seminar by a different yeshiva which had been
sub-contracted by his yeshiva Ashreinu - the whole of Friday (remember
there has been no funeral yet) - the sub-contracted educational institute
was posting all over the place how the last Torah he had learnt was
"theirs" and how he was therefore a student of "theirs

4) And then of course there are the inevitable crowdfunding and html
campaigns that come out less the 24 hours after a tragedy - dosn't the
memory belong to the family? Shouldn't we approach them for permission?

Your feedback and discussion would be welcomed. Am I off base or is there
some food for thought here?

Shavua Tov, Shavua Shaket, Mush

--
Daniel Meyer דניאל מאיר
Executive Director מנכ"ל

------------------------------

End of frforum Digest V1 #2
***************************

--
arnie draiman
050-515-6776

RANKED #1 ON GOOGLE: Arnie's Tzedakah Adventures
http://www.draimanconsulting.com/draiman_tzedakah_adventures.html

Member, GuideStar's User Advisory Panel
http://www.guidestar.org/rxg/about-us/user-advisory-panel.aspx

Are you giving your money away properly? Be careful:
http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdContributors/Article.aspx?id=295713

--
Best Regards,
David