[Fundraisers Forum] The ethics of tragedy

  • From: arnie draiman <ajdraiman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 12:23:08 +0200

daniel,

you raise an excellent question.

my two cents is to always take the moral and ethical high road and never
never ever ever use events (particularly tragic ones) for fundraising
purposes. and certainly not publicly. that is, if you need to turn to a few
donors individual, and say, we need a better security fence around our
facility, fine.

i recommend to all of my donors, philanthropists, and foundations to avoid
any non-profit that capitalizes on events to do fundraising. (and even
those capitalize on reports like showing pictures of pathetic starving
children and claiming that one-third of all children in israel are
starving, etc.)

now, having said that, if your organization deals with issues related to
events (for example, you provide psychological support for people with PTSD
in sderot), then you can state as a fact that you had 'x' more people this
past year need your services because of war 'x' and 'y', etc. but do NOT
give me "our children are suffering and without your immediate help, they
will continue to wet their beds at night" etc.....

From: Daniel Meyer <iyimisrael@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 10:03:36 +0200
Subject: [Fundraisers Forum] Fwd: The ethics of tragedy ??

I would like to start a discussion and he
​ar​
your opinions.
It is not news that Israel has undergone a "pounding" in these last weeks.

There have been a number of incidents that have given me a lot of food for
thought as a fundraiser and I would like to hear your opinions?

The major issue is how much mileage can we make out of others tragedy?

1)_In Mishpacha magazine about 3-4 weeks ago A. Granot wrote about his
experiences with his adopted grown son from the Ukraine who was critically
stabbed in K.Arba - given a 15% chance of survival but walked out of
hospital on his won legs. He discusses how amazing the hospital staff was,
Bituach Leumi - who even flew the biological parents in - and said the only
thing that upset home were organizations who came for photo ops.

2) After a chayal was critically stabbed - a soldier "do-good" organization
went to visit him while he was still unconscious in ICU to offer help to
the family.

3) Just this last week we lost Ezra Schwartz z"l - the morning of his death
he had attended a seminar by a different yeshiva which had been
sub-contracted by his yeshiva Ashreinu - the whole of Friday (remember
there has been no funeral yet) - the sub-contracted educational institute
was posting all over the place how the last Torah he had learnt was
"theirs" and how he was therefore a student of "theirs

4) And then of course there are the inevitable crowdfunding and html
campaigns that come out less the 24 hours after a tragedy - dosn't the
memory belong to the family? Shouldn't we approach them for permission?

Your feedback and discussion would be welcomed. Am I off base or is there
some food for thought here?

Shavua Tov, Shavua Shaket, Mush

--
Daniel Meyer דניאל מאיר
Executive Director מנכ"ל

------------------------------

End of frforum Digest V1 #2

--
arnie draiman
050-515-6776

RANKED #1 ON GOOGLE: Arnie's Tzedakah Adventures
http://www.draimanconsulting.com/draiman_tzedakah_adventures.html

Member, GuideStar's User Advisory Panel
http://www.guidestar.org/rxg/about-us/user-advisory-panel.aspx

Are you giving your money away properly? Be careful:
http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdContributors/Article.aspx?id=295713