[freeroleplay] Re: bestiary xml

  • From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:57:47 +0100 (BST)

Per I. Mathisen said:

> So. Do anyone know of any existing xml definitions for RPG bestiaries that
> can be used or adapted for this purpose? It would be nice to use or
> produce something that is more standard and useful for more than Generics.

Yagsbook defines XML for bestiary entries. However, it is geared
towards supporting Yags. The first half of any <beast/> is pure
system-neutral descriptive information though, since I've always
planned to support multiple game systems.

The following article includes a <beast/> element which might
give some idea of the format. There's no full xsd as yet.

http://www.glendale.org.uk/habisfern/encyclopedia/source/ogre.yags

The xslt renders it to:
http://www.glendale.org.uk/habisfern/encyclopedia/entries/o/ogre.html

Thoughts on what else to include in the system neutral part
of beastiary descriptions are always welcome. I also support
as a simple physical description.

> Actually I am wondering whether moving everything over to an
> RPG-describing xml might be a good idea. This way the software program can
> lift class, talent, skill etc definitions right out of the canonical
> source, as well as helptexts and stuff. When this kid gets a hammer,
> beware...

Yagsbook does exactly this.
http://yagsbook.sourceforge.net/

--