[freeroleplay] Re: Zaenar CoreDocs 0.0.0a1-1 is up

  • From: James Jensen <cheeb2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 06 Aug 2003 12:55:14 -0500

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 04:51, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 07:12, James Jensen wrote:
> > I've released version 0.0.0a1-1 of the CoreDocs package in a ZIP file at
> >
> >      http://home.earthlink.net/~cheeb2002/zaenar/CoreDocs-0.0.0a1-1.zip
>
> Its looking good. Definitely coming along, a lot more detailed and
> evolved than your last version. I'm really beginning to get a feel for
> the world. I especially like the map, very slick. I can't wait to find
> out what all the various places you mention on it are like :)

I don't know why, but I've been very hesitant to give details to them,
perhaps because it's hard to put down in words what goes on in the back
of my mind whenever I think about them. I've just begun work on that
section of the overview, and it will be in the next update.

> ZIP format should be fine: there are plenty of Linux apps the can
> extract ZIP archives, I believe the format may even be open so no sweat.
>
> On the subject of starting a campaign, would it be at all possible to
> use your campaign world to play-test the FRINGE rules? I intend to have
> a playable versions up very soon and it would be a great way to christen
> FRINGE? Did you intend to play with your own group or run some sort of
> on-line game?

I'm planning on playing with my own group. I've only ever liked one
online rpg program -- WebRPG -- and it's proprietary and they charge a
monthly fee. OpenRPG is _very_ similar, but it's still lacking in
sophistication, and doesn't come with any graphic miniatures, so it'll
be a while before I get comfortable enough with it to use it. 'Sides, I
want to hone my GMing skills a bit before I risk GMing a game with
people I don't even know. But having an online game to christen both
FRINGE and the World of Zaenar _does_ sound like something to remember,
if that's what you're talking about.

But as for using FRINGE, now that I see that the focuses don't actually
require the players say something special to invoke them (I must not
have read it too carefully the first time), FRINGE looks good. In fact,
I've liked the rest of the system since I first saw it.

My biggest attraction to Mirima Tyalie is its advancement system, which
isn't dependent on whether you like storytelling or hack'n'slash
dungeon-crawling. However, the system has some flaws that aren't easily
fixed, though, so I'll take FRINGE into serious consideration.

--
James Jensen <cheeb2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>