[freeroleplay] Re: Zaenar

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:53:20 +0000

On Monday 07 March 2005 18:13, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've been giving some thought to the idea of restarting the Open World
> Project, aka Zaener. It seems to me there tend to be a few common
> problems with fantasy worlds developed collaboratively. These can be
> summarised as follows:
>
> a) They tend to be bland collections of areas, characters and themes
> that do not fit together.

This is true of 90% of the stuff out there, open or not.

> b) The world does too much and becomes a mess of high-powered forces
> that couldn't possibly coexist in even the most high-magic campaigns.

This may be fixable by limiting people to a region, and forbidding
them from having anything which has power outside that region.

Have you read 'Thieves World' btw? This was a collaborative setting
by a group of authors. There were about a dozen anthologies published
in the end, and most of it was quite good, but began to suffer from
the problem of everyone trying to outdo everyone else ("my hero is
tougher than yours, and oh look, he turns out to be the son of a god").

> Ideas, comments, takers?

Personally, I think the biggest requirement is that people are
actually playing in the setting. They get a better feel for it
then, and there is incentive to keep on adding more.

If people are working on it just to work on an open setting, then
I don't believe that the enthusiasm is going to keep up for long.

--
Be seeing you,                             http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                                    jabber: samuel.penn@xxxxxxxxxx