[freeroleplay] Yags Update

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:19:16 +0000

As I said, I'm finding the time to work on Yags a bit over the holiday.
I've mostly done work on campaign background rather than game rules -
mostly family trees of various noble families, but it's surprising
how many background ideas come out of the closet when this is detailed.

If anyone has any ideas how to display a family tree in HTML I'd like
to hear it - my current solution isn't ideal, but it's simple.

On the rules front, there's been a few updates to the core rules.
Nothing major, just tidying things up. Highlights are:

A natural '20' is now an automatic success for contest checks (i.e.
character v character) if the character's raw skill is higher
(since Yags is attribute x skill, it's possible for someone with
high skill but low attribute to be a lot worse off than someone
with very high attribute and low skill).

Added degrees of success for all skill checks. Previously, this
existed for only magic and combat, and both worked differently. Now
it all works the same (every 10 points over the target difficulty
is one better degree of success). Merely puts in writing how to
handle success by 1 point or success by 31 points.

Movement. I've now got some vaguely sensible (I think) movement
rules. The problem has been ensuring that both ends of the spectrum
(average person through to very fast person) give believable
running speeds. It's not something that matters that much, but I
like to have it codified for when it does matter.

Over the last month or so, I've been adding techniques for non-combat
skills. A lot of skills have been removed and made into techniques
in order to reduce the number of skills players have to buy, whilst
still allowing some differentiation between characters.

For example, Charm has techniques for Seduction and Carousing, whilst
Survival has direction sense and hiking.

I'd be interested to hear people's views on how I've split up skills.
I'm trying for a balance between simplicity and an interesting
selection.

On a related note, having obtained Ars Magica 5th Edition for Xmas,
I notice that their descriptions for the various personality trait
difficulties are almost identical to the place holders I use in
Yags - "Average person does this half the time", "Most people fail"
etc. Interesting to see parallel evolution...

Core rules:
http://www.glendale.org.uk/yags/core/introduction.html

Skills:
http://www.glendale.org.uk/yags/core/skills.html