[freeroleplay] Wiki Security

  • From: James Jensen <cheeb2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:22:49 -0500

Recently, I deleted some rather disturbing Wiki spam from the front page
of the FRPGC's Wiki.  The spam consisted of at least two dozen URLs for
sites that all have "rape" or "incest" in the URL.  I have noticed on
the RecentChanges page that the SandBox has been spammed three times
before.  Now that the front page has been spammed, I think that this is
getting out of hand.

A very simple step that should discourage spammers is to simply require
gratis registration (requiring a valid e-mail address) to edit the
pages.  This would not break with Wiki tradition in any major way, and
the folks over at freeculture.org are doing this with their Wiki.

Another step, if you are not doing it already, is to prohibit any
off-site images from being loaded.  Innappropriate images would be much
worse than inappropriate text.

I understand that these things, if they are not built into your Wiki
software, will take effort to implement, but Ricardo has already shown
his skills with the excellent CollatePages plugin, and there are at
least a few other Wiki packages other than phpWiki, so you may be able
to use one of them to do this.

-J. Jensen