[freeroleplay] Re: Why we like free content?

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:19:40 +0100

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 02:54, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 19:14 +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > This is probably the strongest point for me. I've lost track of the
> > number of games I've run, where I've added my own house rules
> > (sometimes
> > quite extensive) and really wished I could print out a second copy of
> > the rule book with my edits.
>
> That's a good example: I might well use that, if you have no
> objections :) Anymore examples like that of things you can do with free
> content that you can't do with other kinds would be much appreciated.

The other thing I have done (which is probably dodgy on the legal
side), is download PDFs of the maps for a certain big d20 dungeon
crawl when I was running it. Minor editing of the maps enabled me
to give handouts to the players, which I couldn't have done with
the basic printed maps (hiding secret doors, and masking out all the
bits of each maps the player's hadn't found yet). Technically this
should be covered under Fair Use.

A third example: A while back I converted the ship designs for
Full Thrust (space combat wargame) into electronic form, principally
for my own use, but also with the idea of sticking them up on my
web site for others to use. No rules, just stats for the ships to
make printing them out for games easy.

Ground Zero Games weren't happy with the idea though, so they
currently reside on my computer unseen (and unusable) by the rest
of the world.

Related: Making content for my Harn campaign background available
online was a difficult line to tread between just new content, and
duplicating existing content. Sometimes new content doesn't make
sense out of context.

> > Jerry's point about never going out of print is a good one, though
> > certain traders will probably consider this a bad thing since they
> > can't then sell out of print copies for stupid sums of money
>
> I agree prices for old games can be extortionate on-line.

This was at a show.

--
Sam.                                      http://www.glendale.org.uk/