[freeroleplay] Re: Why we like free content?

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladwell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:30:16 +0100

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 19:14 +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
> This is probably the strongest point for me. I've lost track of the
> number of games I've run, where I've added my own house rules
> (sometimes
> quite extensive) and really wished I could print out a second copy of
> the rule book with my edits.

That's a good example: I might well use that, if you have no
objections :) Anymore examples like that of things you can do with free
content that you can't do with other kinds would be much appreciated.

> Jerry's point about never going out of print is a good one, though
> certain traders will probably consider this a bad thing since they
> can't then sell out of print copies for stupid sums of money

I agree prices for old games can be extortionate on-line. If I see
something that's too expensive on EBay I usually wait for the bid to end
(usually unsuccessfully) and make the seller a more reasonable offer in
light of the failed auction.

> btw, there was a discussion about RSS feeds and the like a while back.
> My wiki is back to being publically viewable (though not editable), and
> contains rough drafts on game design ideas, software ideas and adventure
> notes.
>
> http://www.glendale.org.uk/wiki/feed.php

Cool

I'm hoping to work on a "re-syndication" feature for the upcoming
freeroleplay.org 2.0 site (as soon as my old ISP transfer the domain)
which means I'll be able to vet news from other site's RSS feeds in a
moderation queue and republish on the FRPGC site.

Hopefully this feature won't take too much time to develop so those of
you who don't have RSS feeds on your sites, get working on them now :)

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community