[freeroleplay] Re: Ugh... (Zaenar Progress Report)

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:26:33 +0000

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 3:44 pm, you wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 December 2003 11:41 am, you wrote:
> >>Are these the BBC version of the LotR? I can heartily recommend it as a
> >>child-hood favorite of mine, if they're still available.
> >
> > No, the full, unabridged version (including Tom Bombadil, the appendices
> > and all the songs). Only 49 CDs (3GB compressed)!
>
> Good grief! You'll be months listening to all that. :)

Correction... I've *been* months listening to that! Wiled away many an hour
listening to LotR whilst standing at Waterloo waiting for a train to turn up.

> > The BBC version is still available, since I bought the Fellowship version
> > of that when they re-released it about 18months ago. It's not the full
> > version however.
> >
> > Also have the Silmarillion - all very good for listening to when
> > commuting.
>
> I really have to get round to reading the LotR sometime...

Hmm. I know I'm going to get lynched, but I really didn't like the books
at all. One advantage of the audio version is that I could dose off during
the boring bits. The films have generally been a lot better than the books
I thought (at the very least, it cut out most of the songs, <shudder/>).

The Silmarillion, and the various 'Making of Middle Earth' books were
very interesting though - probably because they read like a GMs campaign
notes when he's designing a world, and I read them at the time I was just
starting to build my first campaign world.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.