[freeroleplay] Re: The Ideal Mechanic && Computer RPGs

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:27:00 +0000

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 12:50, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> My own favourite solution is an automatic 'take 10' (D20 terminology for
> no dice roll, use median value of dice) for onopposed, non-risky checks.
> There is no state change due to failure of such checks. If there is a risk
> and cost involved in the check, which makes sure that endless
> repeatability is not possible, it is called a risky check, and a normal
> dice roll is made. Experience might be awared for such checks. Finally,
> opposed checks are also rolled with dice (and may be awared experience).

I believe other options include having a 'time out' period for skills
after which they can be re-used, or simply not allowing re-use of skills
after they have failed against certain targets... i.e. only allowed to
attempt a lock-pick once until you level-up.

> Have you considered using the Creative Commons Attribution License instead
> of FDL? The FDL does not have the best reputation around. You would still
> need to dual license it for GPL, though.

Whilst the Creative Commons Attribution License is a very open license,
it cannot be considered free in the sense we define it since it does not
require a modifiable version be made available, a pre-requisite for any
free content license, in our opinion. Without the ability to obtain a
copy that can be edited in commonly available tools, free or open
content is pretty meaningless. There is nothing to stop someone
distributing copies in a closed and un-editable format, such as PDF.

> Also, you have the same problem in regards to the LGPL, too! So maybe you
> should dual license it with LGPL instead of GPL. (You can use LGPL in GPL
> but not GPL in LGPL.) This is useful if someone wants to write, for
> example, a rules-resolving library for FRINGE one day.

The LGPL has its benefits, but if we do publish out content under any
license it will either be the FDL or the GPL. We may eventually write
our own libraries and publish that under the LGPL, subject to
discussion.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community