[freeroleplay] The Ideal Mechanic && Computer RPGs

  • From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:22:36 +0000 (GMT)

For the last decade, my own interest in RPG has almost exclusively been
for computer RPG. It has some special requirements that pen-and-paper
(pnp) RPG does not, and it would be quite nice if these were kept in
mind, at least, while designing new rules systems.

Design principles for a good computer RPG rules set:
 - Simple, fun, and interesting player choices. Realism is strictly
   secondary to a fun game experience for most players.
 - Simple rules vs many choices: Base rules must be simple, choices
   must come through linear iterative addition, not expanding
   complexity in every direction. (This is important for software
   rendition of the rules.)
 - Use familiar concepts whenever possible. Very quick learning curve;
   no reading manuals should be necessary for computer game use.
 - A rules system that appeals to the desires of all groups of gamers:
        o Should be possible with endless debates on 'perfect power
          build' of characters.
        o Should be possibilities for continual character improvement.
        o Should be possible to build powerful characters with player
          skill that are tougher than similar characters made by
          players of less skill; but
        o The game should be forgiving both in regards to death and
          advancement choices. Never end up with broken characters.
        o Should be possible to create elaborate and detailed
          charactere over time.
        o Character creation should not take too long or have too
          many choices.
        o The player should always be allowed to change choices that
          it should not be expected that he/she already understands
          at this point without reading the manual. (Think eg D&D
          sorceror spell selection here.)
        o Player classes and races should be balanced.
 - All classes should be able to improve in combat proficiency, as this
   is such a vital part of most computer RPGs.
 - No micromanagement of actions should be necessary; actions should be
   atomistic and without options except a single target. Instead of making
   complex actions, make more types of actions.

The D20 system is ideal for use in computer RPG games, as you can see
according to the above criterias :)

Since I discovered D20 was off-limits for computer RPG use, I have been
looking all over the net for something else I could use, and found nothing
yet which has been 'good enough'. So I begun to create my own, but I
would rather not.

  - Per