[freeroleplay] Re: The Ideal Mechanic

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:53:50 +0000

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 20:33, Samuel Penn wrote:
> Again, 'human-understandable' covers a wide range. You could use
> imaginary numbers, and that would still  be human understandable.

I agree. What I should say when I write 'human-understandable' is
something like 'intuitive and simple' range or 'idiot simple' range. I
think you understand what I'm trying to get at here, I just can't seem
to find the right words. Can anyone come up with a better term?

> > opposed actions you should still roll twice, and for
> > extended actions you should still roll multiple times, but that the
> > individual 'unit' of each action should involve only one roll,
> > preferably with only one dice.
>
> One dice? Or one die? :-)

Definitely one dice.

> This does rule out hit location and critical hit tables, since these would
> require more than one roll per 'action'. Is this intended?

Possibly. This is just about the basic mechanic. I'd like to think that
FRINGE is flexible enough that you could easily add hit location and
critical hit tables without breaking the rest of the system. These would
be optional complications. All I ask is that the basic, underlying
mechanic be that simple.

On the subject of hit locations, you may not need to have a separate
roll to determine that. You could simply say that the die score results
determine where you hit if you succeed. The higher you roll, the better
the location (e.g. 1-2 = foot, 3-4 = shoulder... 9-10 = head). Or, it
could be determined by the number of success points you gain using a
similar method.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community