[freeroleplay] Re: Stereotypes

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:55:45 +0100

On Thursday 31 July 2003 01:53, James Jensen wrote:

> So, yes, there is a need for archetypes, from both a gaming stand-point
> as well as a realism one, and I definately plan to write up a section
> about the more common ones (Bard, Wizard, etc.).

What I'm thinking of is a more background/roleplaying point of view,
rather than a profession point of view.

The Black Claw Mercenary School is known for training 'fighters'
and 'rogues', but is mostly infamous for its connections to the
underworld, and its teaching of dirty tricks and unsubtle tactics.
Characters who were trained there tend to be brutal, unsubtle
and lacking in social graces.

The Knights of Torsh on the other hand, have a reputation of
turning out honourable 'fighters' and sometimes 'wizards',
ready for serving the nobility. Students of this school tend
to be easy targets for insults by those from the Black Claw.

Players will often skip reading detailed world background, but
they do read up on options for their characters. If some of the
more obvious world background is encountered as part of character
gen, then players should have a better feel for the world when
they come to play.

And when they encounter a group of knights with the Black Claw
insignia, they know immediately to expect trouble.

Ideally of course, the different options should be able to work
together in the same group. Friction is interesting, but outright
hostility can quickly break the game.

--
Sam.                                         http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/