[freeroleplay] Ransoming Games

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Roleplaying Community <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:28:11 +0100

Hi All,

Came across this example of "ransom" game publishing on fundable.org. Famous game designer Greg Stolze is planning to release his forthcoming game "...in Spaaace!" free (as in beer) for everyone on-line provided he receives $750 in donations:

http://www.fundable.org/groupactions/inspaaace/

I think this is a great idea and a popular one too: it seems 99% of the funds have already been raised in a month. It would be even nicer if people did this and then published their games as free content so not only did people get a free copy, but also one they could redistribute and modify as they wished.

Certainly, this would also make an interesting method for publishing free content games in the future. I know I would happily donate money if I thought the final product would be licensed as free content.

Thoughts?

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell