[freeroleplay] Re: Opportunities for Free Gaming?

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:58:17 +0000

On Sunday 28 November 2004 14:04, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:

> I can think of only one RPG-only retailer in the London area.

Depends on what you mean by RPG-only - there's:

Leisure Games www.leisuregames.com
  Based in Finchley somewhere
Orcs Nest www.orcsnest.com
  Off Shaftesbury Avenue, near Leicester square
Playing Games (don't know of a website for them)
  Museum Street, just next to the British Museum.

All are RPG/Wargame/Boardgame shops.

Forbiddon Planet (round the corner from Orcs Nest) has a decent RPG
collection as well these days. The Orcs Nest unfortunate policy of
shrink wrapping everything and not letting you have a look at what
you're about to buy means that I buy most stuff from Forbiddon Planet
unless I'm really sure that I'm going to want it.

> Yes, the demise of generic and quality RPG magazines has left a vast
> hole. Dragon went the way of White Dwarf and became a WotC brochure. We
> had an excellent magazine in the UK, called Arcane, but it went under
> when the CCG craze hit the market. There have been attempts since, but
> the market just can't support them. I think everyone is getting their
> RPG-fix from sites like Enworld and RPG.net now.

It's difficult to sell magazines when people can get web content for
free. Visions was the last attempt I remember, which was by Steve
Turnbull, who had a lot of experience selling Acorn magazines (i.e.
small dying market). That didn't last much beyond a few issues.

--
Be seeing you,                             http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                                    jabber: samuel.penn@xxxxxxxxxx