[freeroleplay] Re: Opportunities for Free Gaming?

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:18:57 +0000

Jamie Jensen wrote:
> Personally, I have a few problems with Lulu.
> Quoting their Membership Agreement:
>>If you purchase Content off of the Site, you agree to the following
>>restrictions with respect > to each acquired Content and the information
>>contained therein:
>>
>>   * You may not resell the Content or otherwise profit from its use or
>> display.

I think the reason for this is as follows: Lulu doesn't consider itself
to be a printing site. It is a publisher and so takes royalties for
books published through it. Obviously, if they are taking a cut they
don't want people re-selling their products and keeping all the profit
of that second sale for themselves (20% of the total profit).

I must admit, this seems a little strange as Lulu don't seem to do
anything for their commision, such as publicise the book anywhere except
within the "community" section of the Lulu site.

> In the case of Content you purchase in the format of a printed book,
> notwithstanding the foregoing, you may resell a printed copy acquired
 > by you.

You can resell printed copies "notwithstanding the foregoing" , i.e. you
cannot make a profit doing so.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community