[freeroleplay] Re: Open World Project

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 27 Jul 2003 10:48:39 +0100

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 10:39, Simo Kivistö wrote:
> Ok, now this clearly points out why every project should only have one leader
> or a Very coherent group managing it. There are going to be things people
> don't agree on. Somebody has to organize things too(how project is divided
> etc.)
> The leader should of course usually be the person who put's up the project.
> This leads us to another IMHO pretty big problem: We seem to lack decent
> servers.

We do have a decent sever, but web space costs money. The FRPGC has
MySQL and PHP available. I will be looking into installing a wiki and
message board as soon as I get the time.

> > I also doubt that I would be using straight FRINGE if I did anything,
> > either. I'm not comfortable with the idea of "focuses" where players
> > have to say something corny to get a benefit.
>
> As you mention it, I don't like that either. Too much of a memory-game.

If there's something you don't like about FRINGE please come along, sign
up to the mailing list and we can fix it. I'll probably be publishing
FRINGE in the wiki as well.

> Now, I agree with the one(I don't remember who it was) who said that game
> world
> really should be somewhat independent on the game system. So it usually is
> too:
> documents that describe the world usually have very few rules. And this is not
> so big problem. Again somebody can port the world for fringe if he wants so.

My idea would be to develop the world through a Wiki. It would then be
simplicity to create a wiki sub-system that would allow users to create
dynamic rules variant pages. So, for example, you create a 'soft'
description of an NPC for your world in the wiki, without any game
stats. You would then create a linking page to the NPC stats in, say,
FRINGE. Someone else could then come along and create a variant stats
in, say, YAGS.

Regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
       little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."