[freeroleplay] Re: Open Game License and Product Identity

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:50:24 +0000

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2003, James Jensen wrote:
>>But, of course, we're not just looking for increased usage. We want to
>>spread freedom. In that respect, the OGL is bad, thanks to its Product
>>Identity clauses.
>
> It is also bad because it forbids the making of computer games using OGL
> content. (At least according to the WotC's interpretation of their own
> license.)

Its a great idea, James - I think the idea of using PI against itself
would appeal to everyone on this list. Unfortunately, as Per pointed
out, there are many other problems with the OGL, other than PI, which
make it difficult, if not impossible to use as a free license.

Also, the OGL does not require that a transparent or modifiable copy of
the OGC be made available. This means that publishers are free to
publish OGC material in formats that prevent anyone from editing the
content, thereby rendering whatever freedoms imparted by the license
useless under such circumstances.

> "2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that
> contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used
> under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any
> Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted
> from this License except as described by the License itself. No other
> terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed
> using this License."
>
>   - Per

I wonder if this condition only applies to downstream users? I'm not
sure if you could read it as: if you derive from someone else's OGC you
cannot add any further restrictions, but if you are the originator of
the work, i.e. you have not derived your work from anyone else's OGC,
than you may add further restrictions to the OGL.

> 4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this
> License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free,
> non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open
> Game Content.

The above, however, certainly seems to negate this... it definitely
states that you only have a royalty-free license to use the OGL 'with
the exact terms of this License'.

Regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell