[freeroleplay] Open Game License and Product Identity

  • From: James Jensen <cheeb2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 16 Dec 2003 02:45:34 -0600

I have a theory.

It seems to me that the Open Game License is the currently the most
popular of all free-ish licenses. So, if you are looking for your work
to get re-used, the OGL will help.

But, of course, we're not just looking for increased usage. We want to
spread freedom. In that respect, the OGL is bad, thanks to its Product
Identity clauses.

However, what if we used PI against itself?  If we license stuff under
the OGL, designate everything possible as PI, then grant a blanket
license to Use (I'm using the OGL's terminology here) that PI, provided
that all Derivative Material designate only PI licensed under the same
terms.

I'm thinking that the OGL will help us get noticed -- to get people to
look twice -- then lead others to start thinking seriously about the
effects of PI (after all, _we_ took a stand...).

Yeah, I know, it's optimistic, but what do you guys think?

-J. Jensen