[freeroleplay] Re: Moutain Dwarves and Licenses

  • From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:48:38 +0100 (BST)

On the license front, one disadvantage any such license will
have over ones such as the GPL or FDL is that people don't
know what it is, how they can use it, or what it is compatible
with.

The GPL and FDL both have flaws (as do other popular license),
but people generally know what those are, and also what they're
allowed to do with content released under them, without having
to read and understand another license.

Another issue is whether the name is too similar to the Free
Documentation License - will people see it and mistake it for
the latter, without reading the details?

>>  > 4. All distributed copies must bear a title that is significantly
>>  > different from the title of Work.

So if I take your work, run it through a spelling checker, and
redistribute it, I have to change the title?

What if I translate it? Does the title have to change there
(and does change of language count as a change)?

One point on your definition of Editable Format - 'generally
available software tools' could be argued to include software
such as Microsoft Word. Do you intend this or not?

--
Sam.                                http://www.glendale.org.uk